Remember how I discovered an old stovepipe vent in our chimney? How it had never really been filled in, except with a brick and some joint compound? We had to shut off our hot water tank so no exhaust fumes would come into the house. We had to figure out a temporary cover so we could turn our tank back on.
My ingenious husband (who was in no mood to mortar bricks all evening) came up with a solution: a paint can lid fit perfectly over the vent hole. Seal the lid on with duct tape, and there you go! We hung a carbon monoxide detector closeby, just in case. It has not gone off at all.
Good job, honey!